Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Owwww that hurt!

How many times do we want to get revenge on those who hurt us? When someone is throwing your mistakes and past in your face, all you can do is pray from it to be over. We all go through these times. The mother whose child was killed and the murder walks away, the young girl who was raped, but gets no justice, the child who grew up in an abusive home and does not know why no one loves them. There is so much pain in the world and we all wonder” why God?” We look at the situation and scream “where is the justice you promised God?” The Israelites were not immune to these issues. My journal will go a little more in depth into Zephaniah 3:9-20, to indentify the historical content, the meaning of the verses, and what I personally got from the passage.
Zephaniah was written by Zephaniah and it was Zephaniah speaking in my passage of Zephaniah 3:9-20. This passage is believed to have taken place somewhere between 640BC and 609BC. This was during the reign of King Josiah over Judah. Josiah was made king at 8 years old. He ruled till his death at the age of 47. The focus of this passage is to give the Israelites peace over their oppression.
I loved these verses. I found so many interesting treasures. In verse 15, the word punishment, which is mishpat in Hebrew, means punishment, judgment, and desert. Fear, in verse 16, which is yare in Hebrew, means to fear or stand in awe. In 2 Timothy 1:7, God tells us that He did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and love. In times of fear, we should show power and love as children of God. In verse 17, save, which is yasha in Hebrew, means save, free, delivered, avenged. I love that God is the one to avenge us. Whenever the Bible says that God saves us, it also means He will avenge us as well. In verse 19 in Hebrew, which is oppressed, anah, means oppressed, busied, put down, and humble. When we are overly busy or letting our busyness get in the way of more important things, we are oppressing ourselves.
This passage has given me hope and strength. I know that my past will no longer be allowed to be thrown in my face. God is with me and He is mighty to save. God will take care of those who hurt me. He will deal with my oppressors in a special way. I love that Jesus is my rescuer. He longs to step in and take care of us.
This journal has shown us how God will take care of those who hurt us. We might not see the justice, but God is making it happen. We no longer need to worry about it. God is mighty to save. My journal will go a little more in depth into Zephaniah 3:9-20, to indentify the historical content, the meaning of the verses, and what I personally got from the passage.

No comments:

Post a Comment